Sun, 24 May 2026

|

DHIVEHI

Advertisement

Allegations about MNDF’s capability in Italian divers’ recovery mission incorrect: Spokesperson

24 May 2026

|

Aishath Shaaleen

Chief Government Spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef speaks during the “Presser with the Spox" programme -- Photo: President's Office

Chief Government Spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef has rejected claims that the Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) was incapable of conducting the search and recovery operation for the Italian divers who went missing near Alimatha.

Speaking during the Presser with the Spox programme, Shareef said President Dr Mohamed Muizzu closely monitored the operation and personally contacted the Italian government to seek assistance while the mission was ongoing.

The spokesperson dismissed opposition claims that the MNDF lacked the resources and technical capacity to carry out the operation.

He also urged the public not to undermine or speak negatively about the efforts undertaken by the MNDF during the rescue and recovery mission.

Shareef added that MNDF had already launched the operation and conducted the initial dive before international assistance arrived, adding that the force played the leading role throughout the mission.

He stated that the team from Divers Alert Network Europe (DAN Europe) provided technical expertise and experience during the recovery operation.

The spokesperson further noted that there is currently no law governing technical diving in the Maldives and said the government intends to introduce legislation on the matter.

The search and recovery operation for the missing divers was conducted between May 18 and 21 with assistance from DAN Europe.

Authorities have since warned the public against entering underwater caves without specialised cave-diving training, equipment and official permission, describing such environments as extremely dangerous for ordinary divers.

The incident is currently under investigation by both the Maldivian and Italian governments.

Comments