Mon, 18 May 2026
|DHIVEHI
Bodies of four missing Italian divers located
18 May 2026
|
Area where five divers went missing --- Photo: MNDF
Maldives National Defence Force has confirmed that the bodies of four Italian divers who went missing while diving in Vaavu Atoll have been located during a joint search operation.
MNDF said the operation involved the Coast Guard, police officers and a team of experienced Finnish divers who arrived in the Maldives to assist with the mission at the request of the Italian government. Authorities stated that the bodies of the four tourists were located inside the cave where the group had been diving. Efforts are ongoing to recover the bodies from the site.
Chief Government Spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef stated that the Finnish divers involved in the operation have experience in conducting similar high-risk rescue and recovery missions in other countries. He said the team arrived in the Maldives with specialised diving equipment and an operational plan prepared for the recovery efforts.
The spokesperson further noted that divers from the MNDF Coast Guard and the Maldives Police Service are assisting the foreign team during the operation. Two Maldivian companies are also supporting the mission.
The MNDF Coast Guard Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre received reports at approximately 1:45 p.m. on May 14 that five Italian divers, including a diving instructor, had gone missing while diving in the area. Search operations were subsequently launched using maritime and aerial assets. Authorities had earlier recovered the body of the diving instructor, while a Maldivian military diver involved in the rescue efforts also lost his life during the operation.