Tue, 19 May 2026
|DHIVEHI
Bodies of two missing Italian divers recovered in Vaavu Atoll
19 May 2026
|
Area where five divers went missing --- Photo: MNDF
The bodies of two Italian divers have been recovered during an ongoing joint search and recovery operation in Vaavu Atoll, following the disappearance of a group of Italian divers earlier this week.
According to the Maldives National Defence Force, the bodies were among four missing tourists located during a joint operation conducted by the MNDF Coast Guard, Maldives Police Service and a team of experienced divers brought at the request of the Italian government. Authorities stated that the bodies of the four tourists were found yesterday inside the cave where the group had been diving.
The MNDF said the recovery mission has been supported by three experienced Finnish divers who have previously participated in similar high-risk recovery operations in several countries. The foreign team arrived in the Maldives with specialised diving equipment and operational expertise to assist local authorities in the mission.
The MNDF Coast Guard Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre received reports at approximately 1:45 p.m. on May 14 that five Italian divers, including a diving instructor, had gone missing while diving in the Vaavu Atoll area. Search operations were subsequently launched using both maritime and aerial assets.
Authorities had earlier recovered the body of the diving instructor shortly after the incident. A Maldivian military diver involved in the search and rescue efforts also lost his life during the operation.
Efforts are continuing to recover the remaining bodies from the dive site, authorities said.