Sat, 23 May 2026
|DHIVEHI
Power disruption in Malé and Hulhumalé; STELCO working to restore services
23 May 2026
|
STELCO building --- Photo: MMTV
Power supply services in parts of Malé and Hulhumalé have been disrupted on Saturday due to an ongoing technical issue, the State Electric Company Limited (STELCO) has said.
In a statement, STELCO said teams were continuing efforts to identify and resolve the issue and restore electricity services as quickly as possible.
Earlier on Saturday, STELCO carried out upgrade works on the power system of the 50-megawatt powerhouse in Hulhumalé. The work, which began during the early hours of the morning, required the temporary shutdown of the powerhouse engines from 3:00 a.m. until 8:00 a.m.
STELCO stated that electricity demand in Malé stood at 76 megawatts during the shutdown period. The company noted that power supply to Malé and Hulhumalé had been maintained through high-speed engines operating in Hulhumalé while the upgrade work was underway.
The company said the upgrade is intended to enable additional generation feed into the powerhouse and further strengthen and modernise electricity services provided to customers in the Greater Malé Region.