Sat, 23 May 2026

|

DHIVEHI

Advertisement

Power restored in some areas of Malé and Hulhumalé after outage

23 May 2026

|

Ainy Waheed

Headquarters of STELCO --- Photo: STELCO

Power supply has been restored to some areas of Malé and Hulhumalé after an outage affected large parts of the Greater Malé Region on Saturday.

State Electric Company Limited (STELCO) said efforts are ongoing to identify and resolve the issue and gradually restore electricity services to all affected areas.

In a post shared on X, STELCO stated that work was currently underway to energise the Greater Malé interconnection grid as part of the restoration process.

STELCO said the outage was caused by a technical issue, adding that teams were continuing efforts to identify the problem and restore services.

The company has been carrying out several power system upgrade works in recent days. Earlier on Saturday, STELCO completed upgrade works on the 50-megawatt powerhouse in Hulhumalé after temporarily shutting down the engines for maintenance and system enhancement works.

The upgrade works were conducted between 3:00 a.m. and 8:00 a.m. without interrupting electricity services.

Following completion of the works in Hulhumalé, STELCO stated that the first phase of the upgrade project had been completed successfully. The company added that dates for the remaining phases of the project would be announced later.

Comments